Xylitol is poisonous for dogs

Xylitol is poisonous for dogs

With all this recent talk of Xylitol, the natural cavity fighter, it should be noted that it is highly poisonous to dogs. When dogs ingest products with xylitol it causes an increase in the release insulin causing a decrease in their blood sugar level (hypoglycemia).  

Do not allow your dog to ingest any product that has xylitol. If they do ingest it by accident then bring them to your veterinarian immediately.

Signs of ingestion:

  • Vomiting
  • Weakness
  • Decrease in activity
  • Seizures
  • In-coordination
  • Collapse

Xylitol can be found it:

  • Chewing gum
  • Sugar free mints
  • Toothpaste
  • Mouth rinses
  • Some medications
  • Sugar free desserts and treats


FDA. Xylitol and your Dog: Danger, Paws off. <https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm499988.htm> OCt, 2018. Accessed Feb 25th, 2019.

Xylitol and Oral Care. <https://odha.on.ca/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/ODHA-Facts-xylitol.pdf> Accessed Feb 21st, 2019.