What Are they?
- Small lesions inside the mouth. On the gum tissues, on or under the tongue, on the inside of the lip
- Can have one or many
- Can be very painful or sore
- Are not contagious
Why do I get them?
- Can appear after trauma to the mouth (fall, sports, new braces, new retainer, after a dental or medical procedure)
- Can be related to food or a food sensitivity
- Can be related to a deficiency of B-12 and iron, zinc, folic acid.
- Can be associated with stress
- Can be associated with further medical conditions such as Irritable bowel syndrome, HIV/AIDS, Crohn’s disease
What to do to get rid of them?
- Most ulcers will heal on their own within 1-2 weeks
- If they are extremely painful or are not healing book an appointment with your dentist to have them assessed.